Thursday, March 27, 2008

Total GRIDLOCK!!

Tonight I had another great big WOW!!! We were on our way to the church for the equivalent of High Council Meeting. Ken had some things that he needed to talk to the council about for President Taylor. The traffic was slow but moving when we realized that we had left the check for Brother Onditi at our flat. The Kenyons had been at our flat and were following us to the church. I called them on the phone and asked them if they would pull over and let me ride with them back to the flat to get the check so Ken could make it to the meeting on time. So that is what happened. The church is about 6 miles from our flat, but usually takes 15 to 30 minutes to drive. We got the check and were on our way back, and were nearly to the spot where we had turned around. The traffic was very heavy. Well things went from bad to worse. In Tanzania when things don't go the way you want, you make up your own rules for driving. We were nearly at an intersection, not a huge one, but one without stop lights. (Most don't have stop lights). The traffic came to a complete stop. No big deal, but it stayed that for over an hour.
Cars didn't like being stopped, so they tried to make their way by doing something else. This intensified the problems and before long the road in every direction was full of cars and dola dolas. People filled the streets after a while, and all there was to do is sit and laugh. It was the most amazing thing that I have ever seen. Cars up to 8 wide heading towards each other with no where to go. We have had lots of rain the last several days, and they say that traffic problems are much worse during the rainy season. The most amazing thing is that no one seemed to get upset about the whole affair. Imagine this happening in America!!! There is a lesson to be learned here: We have and obey laws for a reason. This is what happens when there are none. If I can get a picture or two to upload, I will include them. Wow, is all I can say!

0 comments: